Blueberry Flax Mug Muffin

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Howdy Friends,

I have a delicious recipe to share with you today! One of our studio assistants brought in a blueberry muffin from Starbucks on Tuesday, and I have been craving one since then. Muffins are really something I struggle with because I LOVE them but I know they are usually a nutritionless carbohydrate and sugar bomb. That kind of takes the fun out of eating one when all I can think about is how much sugar is in it. I know, I'm a total buzz kill!

Anyways, I decided to experiment with a healthier blueberry muffin that I could make in the microwave whenever my craving strikes. I must say, I was quite pleased with how my first test run turned out!

First, I assessed the ingredients I had in the pantry and got to work creating a muffin batter.


I used my mini Ninja to make sure my batter was nice a smooth. Anytime I cook with coconut flour, I usually bust out the blender to get rid of any clumps.


After my batter was all blended up, I poured it in an extra tall mug to prevent any spill over while microwaving.


 Check out the final product. Not too shabby for the microwave!


I was super excited with how it turned out and dived right in once it cooled a bit. I will definitely be making this bad boy again in the future. I'm thinking tomorrow sounds good! :)

Blueberry Flax Mug Muffin

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 3 min
Cook Time: 7 min
Keywords: microwave breakfast gluten-free

Ingredients (1 muffin)
  • 1 tbsp almond flour
  • 1 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 3 tbsp almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 packets of stevia
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup (this is option and I used the sugar free kind)
  • dash of salt
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
Instructions
Place all ingredients, minus the blueberries, in small blender or magic bullet. Blend until smooth. The coconut flour tends to make the batter clumpy if you try to mix it by hand.
Spray a microwave safe mug with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour muffin batter into mug.
Gently stir in blueberries.
Cook on 50% power for 6-7 minutes in microwave or until the top of the muffin is firm to the touch.
Powered by Recipage

Let me know if you give it a try! I hope you all have a great rest of your day!

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.