Happy Happy Hump Day!
I hope you are all having a great week so far! Mine has been pretty good, just lots of teaching, working, watching the Olympics, and spending time with the hubs. Last night, we went to the Texas versus Oklahoma State basketball game. The weather was miserable, but the game was really fun. Texas stomped OSU.
This morning, I got to sleep in until 7:30 AM! Whoop for Wednesdays! I started off my morning with a quick upper body workout and a big bowl of Quinoa Protein Oats. I was craving oatmeal, but I knew I needed to pump up the protein factor for the peanut.
Quinoa Protein Oats:
- 1/3 cup GF rolled oats
- 1 tbsp quinoa
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp PB2 powder
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp almond butter for topping (optional - but not for this prego lady)
- Combine the oats, quinoa, chia seeds, flax seeds, and water. Set aside for 30 minutes. This gives the chia seeds time to bulk up and softens the quinoa. I mixed them together then finished my workout.
- Place bowl in microwave for 3 minutes. Watch to make sure it doesn't boil over the side.
- Remove from microwave and add in remaining ingredients including almond milk. You can add additional almond milk if your oats turn out to thick.
- Place back in the microwave for 30 seconds. I used frozen blueberries so I put mine back in for 1 minute.
- Top with almond butter and dive in!
It was delicious, super filling, and the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold morning! I just added a new series to my barre class a few days ago and I think it is one of my new favorites. It involves a combination of first and fourth position and is a quadriceps burner for sure!
Barre Breakdown - 4th Position Plie
Begin with heels together and toes apart in 1st position. Releve (come up on toes) keeping heels together. Bend knees and lower down into a plie position (as shown in picture). Make sure you engage through your core with tailbone tucked under just slightly, and shoulders over hips. Hands should be resting lightly on barre for balance. Stay close enough to the barre that you are not leaning forward. Lower down into a plie for 2 counts and up for 2 counts 8 times. Hold at the bottom of your plie and pulse 8x's.
Next, slide right heel in front of left big toe. Leave about 2-3 inches between your feet. Weight should remain even on both legs with knees turned out. Pulse 8x's in 4th position.
Now, return to first position and pulse 8x's to prepare to switch sides. Place left heel in front of right big toe to come into 4th position on the other side. Engage the gluts and make sure shoulders stay directly over your hips (it's easy to want to lean forward here). Pulse 8x's on this side.
Barre Breakdown Recap:
- Begin in first position and lower for 2 counts and lift for 2 counts for 8 repetitions. Pulse in 1st position 8x's.
- Move into 4th position with right foot in front. Pulse in 4th position 8x's.
- Return to first position and pulse here for 8.
- Place left foot in front coming into 4th position on the left side and pulse for 8 counts.
- Return for 1st position. You can either stop here or repeat the entire series 2 or 3 more times!
What is your favorite oats combination?
share this on »