Color Your Plate Happy!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Howdy Everyone!

How was your Thanksgiving? Mine was full of family, friends, wedding belles, and lots of driving. The driving part wasn't amazing, but it was so nice to see everyone back home! We had your basic Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixins- turkey, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, salad, and apple pie. It was Mmmmm Mmmm good! :)

My favorite Thanksgiving food is definitely the sweet potato casserole. What is yours?

We got back from College Station today, and it was back to business as usual. I got started on laundry and groceries immediately. I also prepared my lunch for this week. Well, really only for Monday and Tuesday since I leave for New Orleans on Wednesday! Whoop!

Lunch for this week is a yummy new creation. Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad. So easy and busting with color and nutrition! I was inspired by this recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod.

Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 15
Keywords: stove top salad entree side gluten-free

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa
  • 2 cups cubed butternut squash
  • 2 clementines
  • 3 tbsp dried cranberries
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
Cook quinoa according to directions on package.
I cheated and used the pre-cut butternut squash and just steamed it in the microwave for 4 minutes. I would totally suggest this method.
Chop clementines into small pieces.
Allow squash and quinoa to cool before mixing with cranberries, olive oil, clementines, and salt and pepper.
Mix well and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


I have to admit, I cheated when it came to the butternut squash. I was exhausted from all the traveling and didn't feel like going to war with the butternut squash. Those things are impossible to cut. Wal-Mart sells the most amazing pre-cut bags of butternut squash that steam right in the bag in just a few minutes. I'm obsessed! I think I've eaten squash every week for the past 5 weeks since discovering these bad boys.


I can't wait to gobble this up for lunch on Monday. Sunday's dinner was pretty colorful too. I love one dish meals that are easy to throw together and E approved, and this one meets both of those criteria.


For this dish, all I did was chop up 4 new potatoes and throw it in a bowl with a bag of fresh green beans, and 2 cut-up links of turkey sausage. I covered the whole bunch with 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning. Mix it up and throw it in a casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 350 and dinner is served! Easy peasy!

Next time you are short on time, I definitely suggest this one!

What is your go to one dish meal?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.