Almond Banana Oatmeal Protein Bars

Monday, August 22, 2011

Happy Monday Friends!!

How was your weekend??  What did you do? Yesterday, I told you all about the shopping that I accomplished this weekend!

I also went on a great 6 mile run with my friend Katie! Running is 100Xs more fun when you are running with a friend. Thanks for joining me Katie!!


We ran around the lake and actually saw a guy doing paddleboard yoga!! I had heard of this before, but neither of us had ever seen it in real life! It looked so cool. Talk about a balance challenge!

source
After we finished our run, I took Champ for a quick walk and then headed to the grocery store (after a shower of course)! In the afternoon, I got serious in the kitchen! The first thing on my agenda was Almond Banana Oatmeal Protein Bars. I was lucky enough to win a NuNaturals goody pack from Erin's blog a few weeks ago, and I have been trying out all new ways to use this delicious all natural sweetener! As a group exercise instructor, healthy snacking is a must to keep me fueled in between classes. I spend a butt load each week on Luna and Larabars (which are both super delicious, don't get me wrong). Anybody else? I have tried to make protein bars at home a couple of times in the past, but none of them have turned out this good. Please allow me to introduce you to........

Almond Banana Oatmeal Protein Bars


Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups whole rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 cup peanut flour (If you don't have peanut flour, you can simply use another 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or the nut flour of choice for extra protein!)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup NuNaturals MoreFiber Baking Blend
  • 2 tbsp whole flax seeds
  • 1/4 cup almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 banana
  • 2 tbsp water
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray an 8 X 8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mash up banana and combine with almond butter, applesauce and water.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. The mixture will look dry at first, but keep stirring.
5. Pour into pan and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Allow pan to cool and then cut into bars. Wrap individually for an easy to pack snack!


Step 2


Step 3

Step 4

Pre-cooked

Post cooking - nice and golden brown

Wrapped up and ready to go!

Look at that wholesome nutritiousness!

These bars are absolutely amazing and so satisfying! They ended up about the size of Lunabars. The recipe can make 8-10 depending on how you slice them. Next time, I'm going to make them in a 9X9 pan so they are a bit thinner and I can get 10 good sizes bars out of one batch! You get a little hints of apple, banana, almond butter, and raisin in every bite! These might be replacing all store bought granola/protein bars in my house.

I hope you all have a marvelous Monday! :)

Q's and A's:
Have you ever made homemade granola or protein bars?
Anybody want to share their recipe?
What was your favorite thing you did this weekend?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.