Try This Thursday #19

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Happy Thursday!

How has your week been so far? Mine has flown by at lightning speed. Over the last 3 weeks or so, I have been transitioning into my new job so my workout schedule has been thrown all off. I have still been squeezing in workouts, but they are not quite as long, and I have definitely been lacking in the strength training area. Although I preach the benefits of strength training all the time (check it out here, here, and here), and I truly like how it makes me feel, when I only have 45 minutes to get in a workout, the stair master just draws me in (even though I know I should hit up a circuit workout). I hit the weights yesterday before my cycle class and then took a strength training class today on my lunch break. Can you say holy chest press my pecs hurt!! I really love the feeling of being sore. You know you worked hard and are changing your body for the better.

Whenever I am pressed for time, I love exercises that work more than one body part. Check out these double duty moves to see maximum results in minimum time!



Reverse Lunge and Row: Loop a resistance band around a sturdy object at chest height and grab the handles with both hands, palms facing each other. Extend your arms straight in front of you and back away until there's no slack. From that position, step back with your right foot and bend both knees to lower into a lunge (a). As you return to standing, quickly pull the handles toward your chest and squeeze your shoulder blades together (b). Return to start. That’s one rep. Do 15, then switch legs. (source)



Single Arm Hang Snatch: Hold a dumbbell in your right hand with an overhand grip, and bend at your hips and knees to squat down until the weight is just below your knees (a). In a single movement, bend your arm, raise your elbow as high as you can, and try to raise the dumbbell toward the ceiling as quickly as possible (b). Allow your forearm to rotate up and back from the momentum, until your arm is straight and your palm is facing forward (c). Return to start. That’s one rep. Do 20 reps, then repeat on the other side.  (source)



Glider Mountain Climber: Start in a pushup position with your arms directly under your shoulders and a Valslide or gliding disk under each foot (a). Brace your core, then slide your right knee toward your chest, keeping your back flat (b). Slide back to start. That’s one rep. Repeat on the other side and continue alternating until you’ve completed 20 total reps on each side. (source) To up the intensity and engage your obliques, pull your right knee across to your left elbow and then you left knee across to your right elbow.

Try adding in these moves to your next resistance training routine to pump up the intensity and your results!

Hey! Have you entered my Tradewinds giveaway yet?  There's still plenty of time! Check it out.


Q's and A's:
Do you prefer strength training or cardio?
If you only 45 minutes of gym time, what are you doing?

In health,


share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.