Try This Thursday

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Howdy!!

How are you today? Lovely, I hope!

I have something I need to confess.........sometimes, it is very hard to make myself lift weights in the weight room. I love taking, and teaching strength training classes, but it is just not the same when I try to lift weights on my own. Maybe I have exercise ADD, or need the camaraderie of other people lifting with me, but I just can't ever get into a rhythm in the weight room.

Weight room = not really my scene! [source]

Group strength training = much more my style!! [source]

Although I don't love hitting the weights on my own, I know strength training is super important, so I just grin and bare it! I wanted to get in a good lift after my run this morning, but was running a little short on time. The best way to pack in a full body workout in a short amount of time is by combining lower and upper body moves into one exercise. Below, is a total body workout that can be completed in less than 30 minutes. Try to move quickly from one exercise to the next completing each circuit 3x's. Complete 12 repetitions of each exercise, unless otherwise noted. (I'm loving power point charts lately)


Make sure you are using heavy enough weights that you are thoroughly fatigued by rep 12. Since this is a fairly short circuit, you want to really challenge yourself by upping your weight!

One of my favorite new total body toners is a side plank on a stability ball. You have to use your entire core to keep yourself stable, and your shoulders get a nice little workout as well!


  • Place ball against wall, then lie on left side with hips stacked, left elbow under shoulder and sides of feet resting on top of ball, right leg crossed in front of left.
  • Slowly lift hips, forming a line from head to toe, and extend right arm toward ceiling.
  • Hold for 30 seconds; lower.
  • Switch sides and repeat. [source]
I hope everyone has a marvelous day!!

Question Time!
Do you prefer to lift weights in a weight room or a strength training class?
What is your favorite total body toner?
If you only have 30 minutes to workout, what do you do?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.