Snack Attack

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Howdy!!

How is everyone today? Are you managing to stay warm in this crazy weather? I heard a statistic on the news that this crazy winter storm covers over 2,100 miles. Isn't that unbelievable? It's snowing all the way from Dallas to New York City!

They canceled work and school again today and tomorrow. I am starting to go a little stir crazy stuck in the house. However, I am so excited because Eric's flight landed safely in DFW just a few moments ago. He has been riding out this storm in Kansas! BRRRR! Having him home safely is the best birthday present I could get! :)

I got a request from one of my wonderful readers to share some snack ideas that are easy to take with you to work. Although I wish blogging and teaching aerobics by themselves could pay the bills, that is simply not the case. I have to spend a good bit of time hanging out at my desk as well. (Don't get me wrong, I do love my job!) Due to the fact that I usually go straight from work to school, I am the queen of snacks!

Most of us have to spend quite a bit of time at one of these!
[soure]

When you are packing snacks to take with you to lunch or school, there are a few things your should keep in mind. Whenever possible, try to pack whole foods instead of sodium and artificial flavor laden processed foods. Try to include a small amount of carbohydrates, protein and fat into each snack so you stay full for longer. You might want to consider buying a small lunch box if your office doesn't have a refrigerater for you to use. If you have a way to keep food cold, you will have a lot more snacking options!

[source]

Easy and Portable Snack Ideas:
  • Apple with Greek Yogurt and Peanut Butter Dip (simply mix 3tbsp. Greek Yogurt with 1 tbsp. peanut butter)
  • Other portable fruits: bananas, peaches, pears, grapes, cutie oranges (keep a few napkins handy)
  • Homemade oatmeal cookies (more like a granola bar than a cookie but still rediculously delicious)
  • 1 cheese stick with a couple of carrot sticks
  • A couple of cheese slices with low-fat triscuits
  • Bag of breakfast cereal (try and choose a low sugar high fiber option and don't forget to stick to the suggested portion size on the nutrition label)
  • Laughing Cow low-fat cheese wedge with whole wheat crackers (I love Kashi crackers)
  • Instant Oatmeal (Most packets have less than 150 calories, keep you full for a long time and it's great for colder months! Again, watch the sugar content here.)
  • Low-fat yogurt with fruit
  • Greek yogurt with a packet of stevia mixed in
  • Wasa crackers with peanut butter or hummus on top
  • low-fat cottage cheese with fruit or no sugar added jam mixed in
  • Veggies and hummus to dip them in
  • Low-fat granola (Watch your potion sizes here. Granola is usally higher in calories.)
  • Trail Mix (You can make your own with dried fruit, mixed nuts, and either granola or high fiber cereal.)
  • 100 calorie packs of popcorn
  • Soy beans (you can eat them shelled or pick up a bag of soy nuts which are yummy as well)
  • Herbal tea or low-fat fot cocoa - sometimes drinking something hot will help curb your cravings, especially sugar cravings!
[source]

If you are going with a granola bar, some of my favorites include:
  • Luna bars
  • Luna protein bars
  • Larabars
  • Kind bars
  • Kashi TLC fruit and nut bars (I love the pumpkin pecan bar, but I'm sure they are all good)
  • Cliff bars (I actually eat Z bars, the kids version of cliff bars because they are only 130 calories and have way less sugar.)
  • Odawalla bars (these are delicious but are kind of high in caloires and sugar)
Hopefully, something on that list appeals to you! Since I have been stuck inside for almost 36 hours straight, I have been doing a lot of reading. Here are some great articles I have read in the past few days.

Super Bowl Snack Break Down

The Magic of Mantras

5 Things I Wish I Had Known About Yoga As A Beginner

Sleep: The Missing Piece To The Weight-Loss Puzzle


Q's and A's:
What is your favorite snack?
If you are snowed in, what have you been up to?

In health,


share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.