Schooled By The Treadmill

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Good Morning All!

How is your Wednesday treating you so far? Mine has started out pretty nicely. I just finished a 4 mile run and then ate some egg whites and a banana. Did you know that January is National Oatmeal Month? I learned this yesterday and thought you all should know. Since oatmeal is my all-time favorite breakfast food, I am definitely a fan of giving it it's own month!

oatmeal + frozen blueberries + almond butter = Oatmeal Perfection!

Yesterday afternoon, I did a 6 mile run on the treadmill at the gym. I always feel like my brain works better while running. I often come up with some of my best ideas mid-run.

Things I learned (or was reminded of) during my 6 mile run:
  1. Even though you feel like you're working 10xs harder when your running on the treadmill versus outside, physically you're really not. While running, I looked down at my heart rate monitor and realized I was running at a 9:13 per mile pace and my heart rate was hovering around 147 bpm. I thought to myself, "I have to be working harder than that!" To up my intensity, I added a little bit of an incline to make up for the fact that there is not any wind inside and the terrain stays the same throughout the entire run.
  2. The calorie counter on the treadmill is WAY off! I've known this forever, but got a nice reminder yesterday. At the end of my run, the treadmill said I burned 740 calories, but my heart rate monitor said I burned 610 calories. It was off by 130 calories! Disclaimer: I used the quick start button so the treadmill did not know my weight which can throw things off. For more information on how cardio machines lie to you, check out this post.
  3. If you don't have a buddy to run with, you can create one yourself. I love going for runs with friends. It just makes everything feel easier and the whole experience more fun! Since I was all by my lonesome yesterday, I decided to create a running buddy by listening to a podcast. At first, I didn't think I would like listening to people talk while running (I usually prefer jamming out to Black Eyed Peas), but it made the time fly by like crazy. I listened to the podcast I talked about on Monday, Marathon Training Academy. It probably helped that the topic of the day was inspiring running stories. How am I going to slow down when the voice in my ear is telling me a story about an 85 year old man who ran 2 marathons last year? Crazy!
It was a pretty fun run! I am off now to face one of my biggest fears - THE DENTIST! I absolutely hate going to the dentist. When I was younger, the gritty stuff they always put on your teeth would make me throw up. Not a pretty picture. I am so NOT excited about this! Ok, I'm going to stop whining now and suck it up.

I hope you have a fabulous day, and I will see you back here tomorrow for Try This Thursday. Don't forget to "LIKE" the Fun, Fit and Fabulous official facebook page so you can stay up-to-date on all the fun stuff happening here. :)

Crazy Fact I learned from the news this morning: Taco Bell's beef mixture is really only 40% beef. Ummm what is the other 60% made of? Yuck!! I can't remember the last time I ate Taco Bell, but that is definitely not helping their case with me!

Q's and A's:
Do you ever feel like your brain works better while working out?
How do you feel about the dentist?
What are you scared of?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.