Easy Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter

Monday, November 10, 2014

Happy Monday Friends!

Woohoo it's Monday and it's cool outside in Austin! I thought we should start Monday off with a positive note instead of dreading it like we all do from time to time. Sure, Monday signals the end of the weekend, but it also kicks off a fresh new weeks full of possibilities! An opportunity to eat right, stick to your exercise plan, and spend quality time with friends and family. That is precisely what we did this weekend. We stayed in town for the UT game so we got to spend lots of quality family of four (must include the pup) time! We went to the game, watched football on TV, ran a few errands, tried a new almond butter recipe, and got a tiny bit of R&R. Pretty nice if you ask me.

This weekend was Annabelle's first official football game to attend and she did great! First things first, she had to get dressed in proper football game attire!


How cute are those leggings and that bib? This was probably one of my favorite outfits I have ever dressed little bit in. She seemed pretty excited about it too. I'm not going to lie, I was a little bit nervous about how the game was going to go. She has really mellowed out over the past month or so and turned into a pretty calm and super happy baby. When she was younger, she got overstimulated and fussy really quickly so I was afraid that the game was going to be too much for her. She must officially be a big girl now though, because she was a champ at the game and was able to stay the whole time!


Thanks to her noise cancelling headphones, all the commotion didn't seem to bother her at all, and she was even able to sneak in a cat nap during the third quarter. Dad is super comfy after all.


The game was a blast and UT even won!! Our Aggies won as well, so of course we hurried home to watch our recording of the Aggie game. Two wins and a happy baby equals one very good Saturday!

Saturday morning  I went for my long run of the week. I was scheduled for 9 miles and headed out at around 6:00 AM for a hilly run. The race I am doing is supposed to be super hilly so I figured I should be prepared. It was a crisp 55 degrees out, so I couldn't ask for better running weather. The first 6 miles went really well, but after that it was a downward spiral. My right hip flexor kept cramping up and my IT bands weren't too happy with me either. I had to stop to stretch them out 2-3 times during the last 3 miles but I still managed to stay under my goal time so that was a positive. Here's to hoping my 10 mile run next weekend goes better!

Training Plan November 10 - 16th (not including my teaching schedule):
Monday: 3 mile run
Tuesday: 4 mile run
Wednesday: HIIT strength workout
Thursday: 4 mile run
Friday: HIIT strength workout
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: rest

Sunday was full of grocery shopping, laundry, and food prep. Thanks to my wonderful friend Lora, I was excited to try out a new almond butter recipe. It was super easy and dangerously delicious!

I started out by pouring 1lb of roasted almonds into a glass pyrex container and zapping them in the microwave for 2 minutes. Lora told me this was key to helping release the oil and get the process going.


Luckily, I had a very helpful assistant for this project!


After I zapped the almonds, I placed all of the ingredients in the food processor and pulsed until well blended.


Caution, this takes longer than you might think and is very noisy so just keep going until your almonds turn into almond butter. I would blend even a little longer than you might think necessary to make sure it is nice and smooth!


And there you have it! Easy as pie and so delicious!

Easy Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter

Ingredients:
1 lb roasted almonds (I purchased unsalted)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
  1. Heat almonds in microwave for 1.5-2 minutes.
  2. Place almonds, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in food processor or blender.
  3. Pulse until smooth. You may have to stop a few times to scrape the sides.
I hope you enjoy it. A big thanks to Lora for the great recipe. Now, if I can just keep myself from eating it by the spoonfull every time I walk by the pantry!

Have you ever made homemade nut butter? Thoughts?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.