You really can have too much of a good thing!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Happy Tuesday Friends,

So I went back and forth for awhile on whether or not to write this post. I usually don't share icky things on the blog, but then I thought I would be doing a disservice to everyone else out there (especially my fellow mama's) if I didn't share my story.

So it all began last Monday when I ate breakfast and then got to revisit it a few minutes later if you know what I mean. The nausea came absolutely out of nowhere. I was literally walking to my car and had to make a mad dash back to the bathroom. Graphic, I know. I was nauseous on and off all last week and threw up quite a few times pretty randomly. I kept thinking, "I thought I left all this behind in the 1st trimester." I really hadn't had much nausea at all in my second or third trimester so I was so confused.

Finally, after throwing up yet again on Sunday morning before church, my genius of a husband asked if it could possibly be the massive amount of watermelon I've been eating that was making me sick. The conversation went a little something like this:

Hubby: Could it be the ridiculous amount of watermelon you've been eating making you sick?

Me: What? Watermelon? No way! Not possible! No way watermelon could be doing this. Not my beloved watermelon.

Hubby: Are you sure? You've been a little out of control with it.

Me: Let me google it......... Crap! You're right!

Hubby: I always am.

Me: Shooting him dirty look. According to this, too much lycopene can cause stomach issues.

Hubby: See, I told you so.

Me: I'm devastated! Now, what am I going to eat???

When I googled, "Can too much watermelon be harmful?" I found several websites that discussed what too much watermelon (aka too much lycopene) can do to your poor stomach, but Livestrong.com summed it up the nicest.

"Although primarily considered safe and beneficial, 30 mg or more of the lycopene in watermelon can potentially cause adverse side effects. Consuming large amounts of lycopene-rich foods, such as tomatoes and watermelon, may result in gastrointestinal disturbances. The American Cancer Society reports that one investigation observed the effects of a lycopene-rich supplement on a patient. The patient took a tomato supplement containing 15 mg of lycopene twice daily and experienced intestinal problems such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, indigestion and bloating."


Can you believe it? I still can't!! Now, I should add the disclaimer that I LOVE watermelon. I mean, really LOVE watermelon. Even before I became pregnant, it was my all time favorite food. My dad used to cut one in half and my friend, Kelley, and I would go at it with a spoon like cereal.

source
I've been eating about two watermelons a week for the past 3 weeks. E wasn't exactly exagerating when he said it was out of control. It was just the only thing that sounded good most days. I still have a ton of food aversions and a lot of things just sound gross. PB&J on gluten free bread and watermelon have been my go to lunch items for awhile now. I also love to eat watermelon for dessert at night.





With that being said, lycopene poisoning isn't something most people probably have to worry about. Additionally, my symptoms could definitely have been amplified by the fact that I am pregnant as well. Hormones do crazy things to your body. However, if you are like me, and LOVE watermelon, I would definitely suggest listening to your body and cutting back your consumption if you start to have any tummy issues.

So there you have it friends, my public service announcement for the week. It really is possible to have too much of a good thing!

Don't forget to enter my Mamma Chia Giveaway if you haven't already!



Have you ever made yourself sick eating too much of one thing?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.