Grain Free Coconut Energy Balls

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Happy Snowmageden Everyone,

Ok, so that's a total exaggeration, but for Texas, this weather is crazy. This is the second time in 5 days that they have cancelled schools and shut down the major highways. Our cars and highways are just not made for this weather and there aren't near enough salt trucks to keep the roads safe. Luckily, I headed into work at 6:30 AM before it got really bad, but I'm not looking forward to my drive home. If you live in the areas that are affected please drive safely!

I have promised myself that I am going to make a better effort in the future of eating more fish. It's hard because E is not the biggest fan. Last night, I decided to just make us each our own type of protein. I made him some BBQ grilled chicken, and I enjoyed baked tilapia with mango salsa. We shared some fresh green beans and a salad. Since both meats are extremely easy to prepare (mine in the oven, his on the George Foreman), it really wasn't too much extra work.

For my tilapia, I simply brushed it with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, in to the oven it wehnt for 17 minutes at 375 degrees. I purchased some of the pre-made mango pico de gallo at HEB yesterday afternoon, and it made the perfect topping. So easy, delicious and nutritious!



After dinner, I was still in the creating mood so I decided to try my hand at some grain free energy balls. I was looking around the inter webs for an idea of what I could use instead of oats and kept coming across recipes with shredded coconut. I'm not really a huge fan of shredded coconut, but I decided to give it a try. I figured pretty much anything is delicious when combined with dates and almond butter right?



Oh my goodness, yes! They are delicious and have just enough coconut flavor. I also used chia seeds, flax seeds, and protein powder to up the nutritional content and add extra protein. The combination of dates, almond butter, and coconut oil made them the perfect consistency so they held together like champs. This is definitely my new favorite energy ball recipe. Let me know if you give it a try!

Grain Free Coconut Energy Balls

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: raw snack gluten-free paleo

Ingredients (One Dozen)
  • 10 pitted majool dates
  • 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/3 cup chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 3 tbsp plain or vanilla whey protein
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 packets of stevia (optional)
Instructions
Remove pits from dates and toss in food processor.
Pulse until well ground.
Add in shredded coconut, chia seeds, flax seeds, protein powder, cinnamon, and stevia. Pulse until well mixed.
Next, pour in almond butter and coconut oil. I softened mine in the microwave for 15 seconds first.
Pulse until mixture thickens and balls together.
Form small energy balls.
Store in refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy.
Powered by Recipage

I had them this morning for my pre-class snack, and they were perfect for a little extra energy boost without weighing you down!

picture source

I am super excited to let you guys know about a 28 Day Healthy Habits e-course I am participating in come February. Katherine, over at The Real Food Runner, is putting it on and she is fabulous. She will be showing us practical ways to integrate healthy living habits into our life and keep us motivated to do so all month. I don't know about you, but I always love learning new tricks and tips and can always use a little extra dose of motivation. The course is only $19.99, but to make it even better, Katherine is offering all Fun, Fit and Fabulous readers a 10% discount on the course. To redeem your 10% off coupon, simply click here! I hope you'll join the party!

It's lunch time over here, so I'm going to head to the kitchen and whip something up. I hope you all have a great rest of your day!

In health,

Lauren George

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.