Gluten Free Chili + Throw Back Thursday

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Howdy Friends!

Happy Throw Back Thursday! I usually don't participate in TBT, but I came across this little gem today, and had to share! This was cheerleading camp my junior year of high school. Oh the good ol' days. Hahaha :) Can you find me?


Ok, back on task. Yesterday, was our first really cool day here in Austin. I actually had to bust out a jacket! It was amazing. I have been chomping at the bit to make chili, but who really wants chili when it's hot outside? So when it dipped under 70 degrees yesterday, it was game on!

Did you know that a lot of pre-packaged chili mixes have gluten in them? Check out the enriched wheat flour on that ingredients list.


Uh Oh! No Bueno!


Luckily, chili is super duper easy to make from scratch. Especially when HEB already has an awesome spices blend for you. Simply assemble your ingredients.




Ingredients:
  • 1 lb beef (I always try to get meat with no additives or hormones. Usually, I would like 90/10, but that wasn't an option on Sunday. Just be sure you drain away any extra fat before combining with the other ingredients.)
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 can black beans
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp HEB San Antonio Chili seasoning, or the chili seasoning of your choice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
Directions:
  1. Brown meat and drain any excess fat.
  2. Rinse and drain both cans of beans.
  3. Add beans, tomatoes, meat, and seasonings together in a crockpot.
  4. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.


I served ours with a large side salad and a few almond thins of dipping of course. This is a super easy meal to throw in the crockpot on a busy day!




What is your favorite crockpot meal? I am trying a new teriyaki chicken crockpot creation tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.