Healthy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Howdy Friends,

Happy Thursday! Today, is technically my Friday because I am off to Atlanta after work today for the QiFORZE Master Trainer Summit. QiFORZE is a new strength format by Qignition. It was designed by some of the most brilliant minds in the fitness industry, including Leigh Crews so to say I am excited for this weekend would be an understatement!! I absolutely can't wait to learn all about this amazing format and to share it with others!


If you're not familiar with the Qignition programs, you should head over to their website and check out their videos. I'll be sure to fill you in on all the details when I get back!
If you're gearing up for a fall race, you should click on over to my friend Amy's blog and check out the guest post I did for her on why cross training is important for runners!
Now, on to the topic of the day - Healthy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup. I know what you might be thinking....... Soup in August? Really, Lauren? I don't know what came over me, but I was really craving tomato basil soup last week, and I came across this recipe that sounded delicious. I changed a few things to healthify it a bit, and it turned out great! August or December, this baby was good!

Healthy Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 5-6 hours
Keywords: slow-cooker soup/stew gluten-free
Ingredients (8 servings)
  • 2 (14oz) cans of diced tomato, juiced
  • 1 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 cup finely diced onion
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1.5 tbsp dried basil
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup gluten free flour blend
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan
  • 1 container Chobani 0% vanilla yogurt
  • 2 cups almond milk or milk of choice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
Instructions
Mix tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, chicken broth, oregano, Parmesan, and garlic in a large crockpot.
Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the vegetables are soft.
30 minutes prior to serving, warm Greek yogurt on stove and stir in flour until smooth. Add to crockpot.
Stir in Parmesan cheese, almond milk, salt and pepper.
Add additional salt, pepper, oregano, and basil as needed.
Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Pour into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
Powered by Recipage

If you give it a try, let me know! I hope you have an amazing Thursday and a great weekend. I will be posting updates about the workshop on my Twitter and Facebook page!

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.