Citrus Quinoa Veggie Salad

Monday, February 6, 2012

Howdy Everyone!

 How was the start of your week? Have you recovered from the Super Bowl yet?

I watched the Super Bowl at my friend Kelli's house, and we had fun getting in the football spirit with our desserts. The boys definitely seemed to enjoy them!




Don't worry, we didn't all eat straight sugar for dinner. Since I wasn't sure what gluten-free options would be at the party, I decided to come prepared with a delicious quinoa salad inspired by Pinterest. The original recipe was created by Iowa Girl Eats. I saw it on Pinterest and knew I had to try it out. Of course, I couldn't cook without making a few modifications to the original recipe. I highly recommend checking out Kristin's blog! This salad is bursting with flavor and nutrition.





Looks delicious huh? I must admit that this has to be one of my favorite dishes I've made in a long time! It was light and refreshing, yet at the same time very filling. Check it out:

Citrus Quinoa and Veggie Salad

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 15
Keywords: boil appetizer salad entree gluten-free vegan quinoa

Ingredients (5-6 servings)
  • For Salad
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 naval orange, peeled and chopped
  • 2 medium avocados, chopped
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup frozen sweet peas
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
  • For the Lemon Lime Vinaigrette:
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 5 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. Perisian Lime olive oil (or 1 tbsp. lime juice)
  • 2 tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Instructions
Cook quinoa according to package directions, and set aside to cool. (I always add a little bit of extra water to really beef up the quinoa. For 1/2 cup quinoa, I used 1 & 1/2 cups of water and let it cook for a tad longer than the directions said.)
Mix all of the ingredients together for the Lemon Lime Vinagrette. I used a small tupperwear so I could shake it to mix the ingredients; however, you could use a small bowl and a whisk.
Combine all of chopped vegetables together and mix well. Stir in quinoa once cooled.
Cover entire mixture with vinagrette and mix thoroughtly. Serve cold by itself, with the meat of choice, or on top of salad for a fantastic meal!
Powered by Recipage

What did you make for the Super Bowl?

Anything else special that happen this weekend?

In health

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.