Chickpea & Veggie Bajane

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Howdy There!

How was your Monday? Mine was busy but fairly good. I am definitely missing my hubby who is away for work all week! :( Luckily, I have my trusty guard dog to keep me safe!

Isn't he cute? :)
The only good thing about E being out of town is I get to be a little bit more creative in the kitchen. I love my husband, but sometimes (no all the time) he has the taste buds of a five year old. Grilled and roasted veggies, no way. Twenty frozen chicken nuggets and a box of Mac N' Cheese, now you're speaking his language!

I used my early birthday present, The Cooking Light Gluten-Free Cookbook, to whip up a little gluten-free deliciousness! Of course, I had to change it up a bit to suite my tastes and the ingredients I had in my fridge. Here she is!

Chickpea & Veggie Bajane

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 20
Keywords: saute entree gluten-free vegetarian

Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tabelspoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups organic vegetable broth, divided
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
  • 1 large fennel bulb sliced
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tabelspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 6 oz fresh baby spinach
Instructions
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tabelspoon minced garlic to pan; saute 1 minute. Add 1 cup broth, 1 cup water, quinoa, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; fluff with fork.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add leek and 1 tabelspoon minced garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender.
Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, fennel bulb, carrot, and mushroom; saute 10 minutes or until vegetables are golden.
Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in remaining 1 cup broth, and chickpeas; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and spinach.
Powered by Recipage

I'm off to walk the beast. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

What is your favorite thing to make when you are cooking for just yourself!

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.