Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Howdy!!

How was your Labor Day weekend? Fabulous I hope! Mine was busy but so much fun!

On Saturday, I woke up early to get in an 8 mile long run before heading into work for a few hours. I started running while it was still dark outside and got to watch the sunrise over the lake. It was so beautiful. After work, I quickly packed up to head to Austin for my friend Katie's bachlorette party. We went to dinner and then went out in Austin and had an absolute blast! Bachlorette parties always make me feel so old because I'm completely exhausted and ready for bed by eleven! :)

On Sunday, it was yet another early day. It was totally worth it because I caught a ride with some friends to College Station to watch some Fighting Texas Aggie Football! I have been counting down the days until kickoff the entire summer. I had goosebumps just walking into the stadium and even teared up when the Spirit of Aggieland song came on. I LOVE AGGIE FOOTBALL!  We had a great time tailgating with friends and watching the Aggies beat SMU 46-14.

source

It was such a fun but exhausting day. On Monday, I woke up to experience the most amazing feeling weather! We have been experiencing 100+ degree temps here in Texas for the past 2 months, so 76 degrees felt like Heaven. :) I ran 4 miles with the biggest grin on my face because I was so pumped about the weather. Check out the forecast for the next week in Dallas.


I don't think my body remembers what 65 degrees feels like! Bring on the Fall!

Eric gave me a Garmin for Christmas last year, and I am pretty obsessed with it. Being able to look down at your watch and know exactly how fast you are running, how far you've run, how many calories you've burned, and what your heart rate is is so cool! Although, I use my Garmin every time I run, I have not been utilizing the computer tracking software as much as I should. This will not be the case from now on. Plus, it's just too dang cool not to take advantage of.

The Garmin computer program comes with a USB looking stick that you plug into your computer. It downloads the information from your watch directly to your computer for you to analyze.



Here is the homepage for the program.  You can see all of my recent runs on the left side and then a more detailed view on the right. It has so many cool features that you can utilize to track your progress. Here are some of the stats from my Saturday run. This graph looks at my pace relative to the elevation of the terrain I was running.


This graph looks at my heart rate (broken down by zones) compared to my pace. I stayed in a pretty steady low zone 4 for the majority of my run.


I really like this next graph because it shows the zones as a percentage of my max heart rate. This is a great way to measure intensity and to see how how you were working.


The Garmin program also shows you other stats including calories burned, average pace, average speed, max speed, average heart rate, total ascent, and much more. You can pretty much break down every detail of your run with this program. (You can click on the picture to make it bigger.)


I don't know if all of this information is completely necessary, but it sure is fun and I'm excited to see how the numbers change as my training progresses. Here are the numbers for my run on Monday morning.


I'll keep you posted on how the training tracking is going! :) I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Q's and A's:
What did you do for Labor Day?
Do you use a computer or online program to track your runs?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.