Try This Thursday - Italian Edition

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Howdy!

Como estas hoy (how are you today)?

It was a busy day at work and I had a blast teaching yogalates and step. I absolutely love teaching step, but due to my schedule I don't get to teach it very often.

I have a delicious new recipe for you today! I adapted this recipe from Clean Eating magazine. I have to admit it is very adapted or should I say E-dapted since I had to take out some of the "crazier" ingredients so he would eat it. Hahaha The main adjustment was that I used his favorite pasta sauce instead of the red pepper sauce the original recipe called for. Oh E! The end result was still delicious!

Three Cheese Stuffed Shells


Ingredients:
- 24 large whole-grain pasta shells
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 1 small zucchini, chopped

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare pasta shells according to package directions. Drain thoroughly and set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, goat cheese, parsley, basil, egg and corn. Season to taste with black pepper.

Eric's cheese stuffing- of course corn would be to healthy for him.

My shell stuffing. The corn added just a touch of sweetness!

3. Pour half of the pasta sauce into the bottom of a baking dish. Stuff shells with about 1 rounded tbsp of the ricotta mixture and place open side up in dish.  Slice up zucchini and place on top of shells. I tried to keep them from touching E's shells. I only half way succeeded. :)


4. Pour the remaining pasta sauce on top of shells and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.


5. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Allow 10 minutes to cool

This recipe serves about 6 people (if they don't have an appetite like E). I shrunk the above numbers to make enough for just E and I. From start to finish, it took me about an hour and fifteen minutes to make this dish. It was absolutely delicious and it was a healthy meal that both Eric and I enjoyed even though mine contained a lot more veggies. The corn in the cheese mixture and the baked zucchini in the sauce were great ways to sneak in veggies and they tasted great!!

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday!

Q's and A's:
What sneaky ways do you add in vegetables to meals?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.