Chocolate Protein Energizer

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hola Bonita!

How are you today? How was your Monday? Mine was  just ehhh, you know?

It started out with a little twist on my usual breakfast. Kroger was fresh out of frozen blueberries on Sunday, so I opted for raspberries instead. I knew raspberries were pretty delicate, but I wasn't expecting for them to completely dissolve in my oatmeal, which they did. At first, I was a little disappointed but it actually gave the oatmeal a really great texture and tasted delicious!


Raspberry surprise oatmeal:
- 1/3 cup whole oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 packet NuNaturals stevia
- 1/2 cup frozen rasberries
- 1/8 cup peanut flour
- 1 1/4 cup water

For some reason I was dead tired most of the morning yesterday until I taught by kickboxing and barre class at noon. I had a fun and packed house which always gives me energy! Before I taught, I needed a little extra boost of energy and calories so I reached for a protein shake.


No your eyes are not fooling you, it is a tad green. I stopped by Whole Foods on Friday in search of a new plant-based protein powder. I have been drinking soy protein for quite some time now; however, after listening to Brandon's lessons on Thrive in 30, I learned so much soy protein might be causing my body even more stress! Never good! I set off down the supplement aisle in search of a plant-based, low sugar, high quality, yet reasonably priced protein powder. After much label comparing, I settled on this guy. The fact that it said energizer on the front may have swayed me slightly. At least they know their marketing techniques work!


This protein powder had some pretty impressive stats, was reasonably priced and looked interesting, so I went with it.


This is not just a protein powder it also contains energizing herbs such as gensing, and a variety of plant-source enzymes to promote daily digestive health, is high in fiber, and contains 500mg of organic spirulina in every serving.

According to the University of Maryland, “Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids (a type of antioxidant that can help protect cells from damage). It contains nutrients, including B complex vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and gamma linolenic acid (an essential fatty acid).”


 
Research shows that supirulina may:
  • Boost the immune system
  • Help protect against allergic reactions
  • Have antiviral properties
  • Help protect against cancer
As far as taste goes, it definitely didn't taste like your average chocolate protein shake. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but you could taste the vegetables and herbs in it some how. It didn't taste bad by any means, but it was not a sugar laden sweet as dessert chocolate shake either. I'm guessing it is one of those things you just have to get used to. I definitely enjoyed it and am looking forward to having it again tomorrow morning before my cycle class! I mixed mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it was a great consistency. I love knowing that I am putting something so healthy and energizing into my body!

Q's and A's:
What is your favorite brand of protein powder?
Have you ever taken spirulina? Thoughts?

In health,


 

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.