Krazy for Kettlebells!

Friday, July 15, 2011

source

Hola!!

How are you this fantastic Friday?? Whoa what a Thursday. I greeted my Thursday bright and early at 5:00am and finished teaching my last class at 7:30pm. Between Dance Cardio Party, 30 minutes on the stair mill reading my new favorite magazine (more on that in another post), taking an amazing pilates class, and teaching kettlebell for the first time, it was a pretty fun and sweat filled day!!

source

 I am falling in love with kettlebells and the AMAZING workout they gives you! It seriously kicks my but in ways I didn't even know were possible. I usually take a class from one of the personal trainers at our gym every Thursday, and every Friday I wake up sore in some new place. Here are two of my favorite kettlebell exercises. Descriptions and pictures courtesy of Women's Health Magazine!



Works shoulders, back, arms, hips, glutes, and hamstrings

Grab a kettlebell and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes turned out about 45 degrees. Place the kettlebell on the floor between your feet. Stand up and lift the weight to chest height. Grab the sides of the handle and push the kettlebell straight overhead. Lower it to your chest and assume the original grip before returning to start. That's 1 rep; do 10.

Works shoulders, back, hips, glutes, inner thighs, and hamstrings


Grab a kettlebell with both hands and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Squat down until your thighs are nearly parallel to the floor. Then immediately stand back up, swinging the kettlebell out and up until it's at shoulder height. As the kettlebell begins to arc back down, bend your knees and squat, swinging the kettlebell between your legs. That's 1 rep; continue swinging for 10.

I love the kettlebell because it is truly a total body workout! Many of the exercises require you to recruit multiple muscle groups, some of which you probably didn't even know existed. If you have never tried it, I would highly recommend you tracking down a group exercise or small group personal training class in your area. It does require some skill, so I would highly suggest learning the moves from a professional if possible. Technique is very important when you are working with kettlebells!

What are your plans for the weekend? One of my good friends from college is coming in to town and I can't wait to see her!! Sunday will definitely involve some serious futbol watching time. I am so excited that the U.S. Women's Soccer team is in the World Cup Finals! Way to go ladies!!!

source

I was never a big soccer fan growing up, but Eric has totally changed my view of the game. The last game was so exciting, my heart was pounding and my stomach was in knots the entire time! Who doesn't love that? I can't wait to see how the game turns out!
Q's and A's:
Have you ever worked out with kettlebells?
What are you doing this weekend?
Will you watch the World Cup?


In health,

Enhanced by Zemanta

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.