Beat The Heat

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Good Morning Bloggies!

How are you this wonderful Saturday morning? Any big plans for today? I am super excited because E and I are going to Taste of Dallas for the first time.


From their website, "Taste of Dallas is readying its biggest event ever to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. The best chefs, restaurants, artists, sports teams, kids' activities and bands in North Texas are gearing up for the biggest Taste yet in Dallas' own Fair Park July 8-10." I will have a full recap for you on Monday!

Since I knew I would be taking in a few extra calories today, it was imperative that I squeezed in a sweat session before the festivities begin. Last Monday, I went for a run, and let me tell you, it was rough. I waited until 8:30 am to go, and by the time I got back to the house (only 4.5 miles later), I was so overheated and dehydrated, I had a headache for the rest of the day. Not wanting to repeat last week's misfortune, I followed these tips to beat the heat and still have an enjoyable run. Now lace up and get ready to run!



1) Drink plenty of water BEFORE AND AFTER your run to avoid dehydration. It is also a good idea to run somewhere that provides water fountains and/or bring water with you. You lose water faster than you can say thirsty in hot and humid conditions. Aim to drink 8oz before you head out and two to four sips of water every 15 minutes during your run.



2) Get up and go as early as possible. We all know that temperatures are cooler in the morning, but during the dead of summer you have to go even earlier. I woke up at 7:00am this morning, and it was already 85 degrees out!


3) Cover Up! A hat or visor helps keep the sun off your head and face which can go a long way in keeping you cool. I wore my trusty purple hat for this morning's run and noticed a big difference. Check out all that yummy sweat!


4) Slow Down there speed racer! This week I wised up and slowed down a bit. According to Runner's World, "every five-degree rise in temperature above 60° F can slow your pace up to 20 to 30 seconds per mile." Since it was a good 25 degrees above 60 when I began my run, I could expect to be about 1 minute and 40 seconds slower per mile. Although, I didn't slow down that much, I definitely slowed my pace a little bit, and I could really tell a difference in how I felt.

source
Hopefully these tips will help make your next run in the heat a little more enjoyable! For more information on running in the heat and how higher temperatures effect your body, check out these great articles:

Turning Up The Heat

The Pack Rules: Beat The Heat

The Weight of Water

I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!! I'm off to get ready to go to the Taste of Dallas!

Q's and A's:
How do you cool off after a hot workout?
Do you take your runs inside during the heat, or sweat it out in the heat?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.