Happy Friday Everyone!!
How was your week? So I thought going to grad school and being a graduate assistant kept me busy, but it can't hold a candle to having a full time job in the fitness world! I love my job, but boy has it been busy.
Speaking of being busy..... I have a lot of clients, and friends who tell me they just don't have time for strength training. They think that if they only have 45 minutes to spend in the gym, their time would be better spent doing cardio instead of lifting weights since it technically burns more calories. However, this is not the case. Strength training is essential to losing and/or maintaining your weight. The more lean muscle mass you have the more calories you burn at rest. Additionally, if you perform your strength training routine in a circuit format with little to no rest in between exercises you can raise your heart rate enough to get cardiovascular and strength benefits. Next time you are crunched for time at the gym, try this quick total body circuit workout.
1. Squat with a bicep curl to overhead press - Begin by holding one dumbbell in each hand. Squat down lowering the dumbbells below your knees. As you stand up, curl the weights to your shoulders and then press overhead. Perform 12 reps.
2. Lunge with hammer curl - Step back with your right leg, left leg in front. As you bend both knees to 90 degrees, curl dumbbells toward your shoulders. Perform 12 reps.
3. Lunge with overhead press - Step back with your left leg, right leg in front. As you bend both knees to 90 degrees, press both hands overhead. Perform 12 reps.
4. Skull crusher - Lay on your back with arms extended straight up above your chest. Bend both elbows and lower weights toward your head. Extend arms back up, this is one rep. Perform 12 reps.
*** Repeat moves 1-4 3 times resting after you complete move number 4.***
1. Deadlift with barbell - Holding barbell in hands, hinge at hips lowing bar below knees. Come back up to a standing position squeezing your glutes on the way up. 12 reps.
1. Assisted pull-up machine - 8-10 reps
2. Assisted dip machine - 12 reps
3. Leg press machine 12 reps
***Repeat moves 1-3 three times resting only after move # three.***
Voila! A total body workout in no time flat!
Have you entered my Tradewinds Tea Giveaway yet? I will announce thee winner on Monday!
Q's and A's:
What is your favorite type of strength workout?
share this on »