Ode to Cycling!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Howdy!

How are you today? Did you have a nice Tuesday?

On Monday morning, I went to one of the toughest group cycling classes of my life at 5:45am! I'm an early bird, but that was really EARLY! The class was absolutely amazing, and I was sweating buckets by the end. The instructor was very motivating, and I can't wait to take his class again in the future.

source

I used to teach group cycling classes all the time, but I haven't taught or taken as many over the past year due to my running schedule and gyms needing me to teach other formats. I think I forgot how much I liked it and what a killer workout it is. I burned 750 calories in a 60 minute class. Talk about an effective workout!! In addition to the mega calorie burn, there are many other benefits of indoor cycling.

Indoor cycling:
  • Increases your lung strength and capacity.
  • Decreases your risk for heart disease.
  • Increases lower body strength. Cycling is a killer workout for your glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps!
  • Improves sleep patterns.
  • Improves energy levels.
  • Improves cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
  • Aids in weight loss efforts.
  • Is a great way to relieve stress and anxiety!
An indoor cycling class is also a great addition to any 1/2 or full marathon training program. Cycling works similar muscles as running and obviously strengthens your cardiovascular system and improves endurance. Many runners cycle for cross training or even substitute one of their weekly runs for a cycling class to prevent overuse injuries that can occur from constantly pounding the pavement.

source

In the class I took, we rode the new Keiser bikes. I usually ride on Schwinn bikes, which I love, but the Keiser bikes were great! They provided such a smooth ride and had an extremely comfy seat! I was definitely a fan.

Alright folks, I'm off to finish some homework and head into work. I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Q's and A's:
Do you take indoor cycling classes?
What is your favorite group exercise class? My heart will always belong to step, but I love them all!

In health,


share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.