Squash It!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Good Morning!

How is everyone today? It is a chilly 20 degrees here in Dallas, Texas. Brrrr!

When I took my weekly trip to the grocery store on Sunday, they were all out of zucchini. I was very disappointed because two of the meals I had planned for the week included zucchini. I decided to be adventurous and try butternut squash instead. What I thought was a tragedy, turned out to be culinary Heaven!

I cut up half of the squash and used it to make butternut squash vegetarian chili on Sunday night! I chopped up the other half and placed it in the freezer for Monday's dinner. I pretty much prepared my chili as I normally would, and then threw in the squash. I did cook the squash in a skillet for about 5-7 minutes before adding it to the chili. It was so easy, but had a really unique flavor!




MMMMM! There's nothing better on a snowy day than chili!

On Monday night, I decided to combine the other half of the butternut squash and a regular yellow squash. I roasted the squash combo with a little garlic powder and Italian seasoning.



I put my roasted veggies on top of some high-protein whole wheat pasta. It was delicious! I am butternut squashes newest fan!

Yesterday, was the first day of YogaJournal.com's 21 Day Yoga Challenge. Did anyone else sign up for the daily e-mails? Each day includes an instructional video, a healthy recipe, and a challenge tip.

Today's video, was a 40 minute Vinyasa Flow. It was really different, and definitely challenging. I propped up the computer on my coffee table and followed along right in my living room. Forty minutes flew by, and I was left feeling relaxed and restored. Elise Lorimer did a great job of putting together some really unique sequences. Even if you didn't sign up for the challenge (it's not too late), you can check out the video below!



(If you are reading this blog on a smart phone, the video may not work. To check it out, click here.)

Questions of the day:
What do you think of butternut squash?
What is your favorite way to use it?
What did you think of the video?

In health,


Enhanced by Zemanta

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.