Snow + Cookies = One Great Sunday!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy Monday!

If you live in the Dallas area, I hope your car isn't too covered in ice this morning. If you live anywhere north of Dallas, I apologize for being a baby when it comes to the winter weather. It snowed yesterday for a couple of HOURS! I don't think I have ever seen it actually snow for hours. Usually, when it snows in College Station, you have to run to the window as fast as possible or you will miss it.

Yesterday morning, I woke up and headed to the treadmill to do a 6 mile run. At this point, it was just really cold and rainy. By the time I got out of the shower, it was full on snowing. I ran into our room like I was 5 years old and yelled, "Eric, Eric, wake up it's snowing outside." Like I said, we don't see snow that often in good old College Station.

After I finished marveling at the snow (you would think I would have taken pictures), I decided to warm my soul with some yummy peanut butter oatmeal cookies! Not to brag or anything, but these cookies were LEGIT!


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup whole oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Splenda blend brown sugar (or a 1/2 cup regular brown sugar)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup natural crunchy peanut butter (you can definitely sub in smooth peanut butter or almond butter)
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)



Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl. (Easy Peasy)
  3. Using a tablespoon, plop cookies onto a greased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until firm on top.
  5. Allow to cool for 5 minutes so they can set and ENJOY!


I absolutely love blueberries in my oatmeal, so I decided to see what I thought about blueberries in these cookies. I spooned out half of the cookies onto the cookie sheet, then added a 1/3 cup blueberries to the remaining dough. I liked the blueberries, but if you are a peanut butter person, I would leave them out. The blueberries kind of overpower the peanut butter flavor. These took me about 20 minutes to make from start to finish. They are so easy to make, pretty low in sugar, high in fiber, and even have quite a bit of protein (for cookies) thanks to the peanut butter! Really, what more could you ask for?

I hope everyone has an amazing Monday! In the mood for a little light reading? Check out these articles I came across this weekend:

Best Apps of 2011: New Apps for Healthy Living

1 Butternut Squash A Week Of Meals

The 10 Healthiest Foods on the Planet

Questions of the day:
How is the weather in your neck of the woods?
What do you like to do on cold days when you are trapped inside?
What is your favorite type of cookie?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.