Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happy Hump Day!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their kind comments and encouraging words regarding my yoga studio dream! Starting this blog and reading other blogs have really motivated me to pursue this dream even more! :) I am still always shocked at how many people care about what I have to say here and the amazing feedback I receive via comments and e-mails. I really can't express how much I appreciate all of your support!

Yesterday, was my first day back to class. I like school, but having all of your classes from 6:30-9:30 at night gets draining pretty quickly. I know as grad students we should be able to handle it, but that is dangerously close to my bedtime. I was pretty wiped after yesterday, so when my alarm went off at 6:45am, I didn't exactly spring out of bed. ;) I did manage to get a 5 mile run in on the treadmill and get back to the house to make breakfast by 9am. Not too terrible! I was really craving something warm for breakfast today. Egg whites, a banana and a glass of almond milk did the trick!


A little coffee was definitely in order this morning! MMMMM!


Lately, the rising prices and falling selection of produce has me down the dumps! I haven't been able to find Granny Smith Apples at my local grocery store in over 2 weeks. I know there are a lot of fresh fruit and veggies that are in season this time of year, but there are a lot that are not. Something about shriveled strawberries, brown green beans, and MIA Granny Smiths makes my heart heart. So when I was flipping through the February (isn't it still January?) issue of Runner's World, and found an article pertaining to the best frozen fruits and veggies, I just had to share!

When choosing frozen produce make sure you stay away from products with added sweeteners or sauces, which add fat, sugar, and sodium. Also, watch out for bags with big chunks of ice, which often indicates they've thawed and been refrozen.


Runners World's Top Picks For The Freezer Aisle:
  • Artichoke Hearts- They have a mildly sweet flavor and provide six grams of fiber per 1/2 cup.
  • Blackberries- Did you know that blackberries have twice as much antioxidant power (including anthocyanins) as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries? They contain 8 grams of fiber and are packed with manganese, which is needed for strong bones and healthy muscle connective tissue.
  • Brussels Sprouts- These little puppies are full of folate, vitamin C, fiber, and potassium (this is especially important for runners as it works to maintain fluid balance in the body and proper muscle contraction).
  • Lima Beans- These beans are rich in fiber, potassium, and iron, as well as provide 12 grams of protein per cup.
  • Mango Slices- The best thing about frozen mango is that it is already chopped up. Mangoes are impossible to cut! They also contain large amounts of vitamin C and vitamin B6 which your body needs to make hemoglobin.
  • Peach Slices- Ten slices of frozen peach have double your daily quota of vitamin C.
  • Spinach- Since frozen spinach is denser than its fresh counterpart, it contains more vitamin A, vitamin K, and folate.
  • Winter Squash- This type of squash is chalk full of beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential in boosting the immune system and fighting of nasty cold and flue viruses.
For more information on how to cook with these frozen wonders, check out the entire article here. It's time for me to go pack my lunch and dinner (I have another late class tonight), and head off to work! I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Q's and A's
What is your favorite product from the frozen food section? I can't live without frozen blueberries for my oatmeal!
Do you usually pack your lunch, or go out for lunch?

In health,


share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.