Let The Chaos Begin!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Don't stress, it's not productive"
-My very wise friend Sara Salinas

Yesterday, I started my new job (please picture me biting my nails)! There are pros and cons to starting a new job, but unfortunately it was all the cons that made me so nervous I gave myself a migraine on my first day of work. Even though I teach yoga, I have my non-zen moments for sure!!


Aspects I like about starting a new job:
  • It is exciting.
  • It is usually the start of a new chapter in your life.
  • You get to be creative and try new things.
  • You get to meet new people.
  • These days, its a blessing just to have a job.
Aspects I dislike about starting a new job:
  • It is scary as **** (which explains my migraine)
  • I hate not knowing what to do.
  • I can't stand not having a routine.
  • I like to do my best work at all times, and when you're new you can't do your best work.
  • I hate asking people questions every five seconds.
So enough with the negativity. Although yesterday was rough, today was much better! Everyone at work is really nice, and very welcoming. I am working as a graduate assistant at a campus recreation center in the fitness department. Who can really complain about working in the most fun environment in the world?? My job is very similar to my last job, just in a new location. With the first day behind me, and few deep breathes, I know everything will eventually be just fine. I just hate being "the new girl."

Right now you are thinking......"what does any of this have to do with health and fitness?" I'm getting there. Between moving to a brand new city, decorating a house, starting a new job, and getting ready to start graduate school, life has been pretty hectic. So what better to topic talk about than easy ways you can fit healthy habits into a hectic life (I know some of your lives are way more hectic then mine). So here they are:


Squeezing Healthy Habits Into Your Crazy Life:
  1. Drink water throughout the day. Water is good for your skin, digestive system, circulatory system, aids in weight-loss, and helps prevent fatigue.
  2. Cut down on the amount of soda and coffee you drink. The sugar and caffeine these drinks contain dehydrate you and create energy rushes followed by crashes, which leave you feeling more tired than before.
  3. Replace high-sugar foods with low-sugar versions. This will help reduce calorie and sugar intake. Items to watch include: soft drinks, cereals, baked goods, candy, ice cream and even some protein bars.
  4. Keep healthy snacks on hand at all times! (enough said)
  5. Take time to plan healthy meals for the week. Every Sunday, I go to the grocery store and plan out my meals for the week. This way, I don't come home on Thursday night only to find zilch in my fridge.
  6. Purchase frozen, ready to cook ingredients. Frozen fruits and veggies have high vitamin and mineral content because they are flash frozen at the peak of freshness. These are easy to store and use for quick meals.
  7. Cook double batches of whatever you are making. This way you can take the leftovers with you for lunch, or eat them for dinner later in the week.
  8. Pack your lunch the night before. This will save you from rushing around in the morning, and assure you have a healthy mid-day meal.
  9. Squeeze in exercise whenever you can. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends adults perform a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio fives days a week. If you don't have time to go to the gym, consider buying exercise videos, going for a walk or jog around the block, or invest in a piece of exercise equipment (like an eliptical, treadmill, or bike) for your home. Think about how much time you spend watching TV each day. If you could give up just 30 minutes of TV time to exercise, your body would be extremely thankful.
  10. Take a walk (or stair climbing) break during the day. This is a great opportunity to fit in more physical activity and to de-stress during a hectic day. Even just 20 minutes during your lunch break can make a huge difference in your energy level.
  11. Get enough sleep. (I definitely need to work on this one) I know we all think we don't have time to sleep more, however we would all be much more effective if we had proper rest.
  12. Make an active date with friends. We all make time to get together with our friend (which we should), but these get togethers usually involve sitting around and eating food. Next time you and your friends are planning a time to meet up, do something active like go for a walk or play a game of basketball. You will get to spend time with your friends, and squeeze in some extra physical activity.
(some points were adapted from: "Tips to get more nutrition and fitness into your day by" by Life Coach Mary Guarino, Ph.D.)

Try to implement these strategies throughout your day to live a healthier life (even when your schedule gets hectic)!

Food for Thought:
What is your favorite and lease favorite part about starting a new job?
Do you have any sneaky strategies to fit in extra physical activity throughout the day?
Yours truly,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.