I'm Melting in Dallas & Beef-Vegetable Lo Mein!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Howdy!

I'm officially melting in Dallas! It has been over 100 degrees everyday since we moved in to our new place! Sometimes, I feel like the heat is pressing down on me like a hot blanket. I did not help the situation last week when I first attempted to make this Beef-Vegetable Lo Mein. It was a ridiculously hot evening, and I thought it would be fun to try a new recipe. Everything turned out pretty well, minus the fact that both Eric and I went through around 3 glasses of water each before he gave up and finally poured a glass of milk. I felt like we were both on an episode of "Man Vs. Food." Let's just say, 1 tbsp of chile paste is way more than Eric and I could handle. We were both breathing fire for the rest of the evening.

Like I said, other than the heat coming out of our ears, the dish was very delicious. So yesterday, I decided to go for round two! I would say attempt number 2 was a definite success!


Ingredients:
  • 8 oz (or however much you prefer) whole wheat pasta
  • 1 tbsp. peanut oil
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tbsp. garlic (or more to taste, Eric is not a big fan of garlic)
  • 1 bag Asian stir fry veggies (a small bag will be perfect!)
  • 1/2 lb flank steak trimmed and cut across the grain into long, thin strips (you could also use chicken or tofu instead of beef)
  • 3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp. Splenda Blend Brown Sugar
  • 1 tsp. chile paste with garlic (we used Sambal Oelek)
Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and combine pasta with olive oil, tossing well to coat.
  2. While pasta cooks, heat the peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic, saute for 30 seconds.
  3. Add in veggies and saute for around 3 minutes.
  4. Add steak and saute for 5 minutes or until steak and veggies are done.
  5. Add pasta mixture, soy sauce, brown sugar, and chile paste.
  6. Cook 1 minute or until lo mein is thoroughly heated and mixed.
  7. Serve and Enjoy!
This recipe serves 3, or 4 if your not feeding an Eric (he eats enough for 2 easily)!

Food For Thought:
What is your favorite type of food? Mexican, Chinese, Italian?
Which of these do you enjoy cooking at home the most?

Yours truly,

Enhanced by Zemanta

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.