Dallas Mania & Fit Facts!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Monday!

I hope everyone had an amazing weekend! As I sat down to write this blog, I thought about how to even begin telling you about this weekend. First of all, it was amazing. I had so much fun taking great classes and hanging out with amazing friends! Second, I learned a ton. I went to some wonderful lectures, and heard some amazing presenters.

This post would be 100's of pages long if I tried to tell you everything I learned, so I decided to just hit the highlights.

My favorite person in the whole world- DeAun Woosley! We were both so sweaty, but who cares?

Here are my top Fit Facts from Dallas Mania:
From the Lecture Fuel + Fitness by Dr. Sandra Koulourides:
  • 100 calories in excess everday equals a 10 lb weight gain at the end of 1 year. (that is just one extra 100 calorie pack a day!)
  • Women need approximately 30 grams of carbs at each meal and 10-15 grams carb per snack.
  • Women need around 1.2-1.5 grams protein/kg of body weight a day (take pounds and divide by 2.2 to get kg) 20 grams per meal, and 8-15 grams per snack.
  • Women need 10+ grams of fat per meal. (stick with healthy fats.
  • There are over 38,000 diet books out there.
  • 2,500 diet books come out every year.
  • 1lb. of sweat has 400-700mg of sodium. This is important to note when you are working out at a high intensity.
From the Lecture Sugar Sabotage by Dr. Scott Josephson: (this lecture was extremely interesting, and I plan on doing an entire post about what Dr. Josephson had to say)
  • We all know that sugar can damage your teeth. However I did not know that if you put a tooth in a bottle of regular soda, it will completely dissolve in one day.
  • Fructose, which is the sugar found in fruit, is 50% sweeter than sucrose (table sugar) but has a lower glycemic index.
  • Fructose converts into fatty acid faster than any other sugar if it is not used for energy.
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup is 55% fructose and 45% glucose.
  • The usage of High Fructose Corn Syrup increased 4,000% from 1970 to 2008.
Fit Facts I read in Womens Health at Dallas Mania: (ok not quite the same, but they were so good I had to share):
  • Women need 180 minutes of exercise a week to protect them from bone-density loss.
  • People who ate 18 grams of protein before lifting burned more calories the next day than carb eaters did.
  • Your body ages 12 extra years if you smoke drink too much, eat poorly and don't exercise druing your twenties and thirties.
  • People eat 20% fewer calories when they serve themselves from the kitchen counter instead of at the table.
Food for thought:
Did anyone do anything really fun this weekend?
Have you heard any interesting Health or Wellness Facts Lately?
Tomorrow, I am planning on doing a post on goals for September. Does anyone have any goal suggesions?

Yours truly,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.