8 Tips to Make Healthy Choices at Any 4th of July Celebration!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Quote of the Day: "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy

July 4th weekend is finally here and it's time to celebrate! First of all, I would like to thank all the men and women who are fighting for our freedom. We truly owe you more thanks than we could ever give!

Yesterday, I shared three of my favorite recipes that are perfect for a July 4th Bar B Q, but what if you're not throwing your own party? Below are 8 easy tips to help you make healthy choices at any back yard celebration. Stick to these guidlines, and hopefully we can all have a healthy and happy July 4th!

Make a plate. Avoid constantly grazing- you don't realize how much you are actually taking in. Make a plate and sit down to eat. You will feel more satisfied.

Watch your buns. If you have the option to have a wheat bun with your hamburger or hot dog, go for it! But if not, consider going bunless. I pile my burger with all the veggies I want and then eat it with a fork and knife- I never even miss the bun!

Swap mustard for mayo whenever possible.

Fill up on fruits and vegetables. There is no better time for fresh fruit than summer, so take advantage! Fill 80% of your plate with fruits and veggies and reserve the other 20% for your meat and special indulgences (i.e. carbs and sweets).

Be picky. If you put something on your plate (especially if it’s not so good for you) and you don’t like it, DON’T EAT IT! There is no point in wasting calories on something you don’t even like.

Drink consciously. We always hear drink responsibly, but I’m telling you to drink consciously. Be conscious about how many calories you are consuming from alcohol. Check out The Skinny on Alcohol and Weight Loss for some healthy drink ideas!

Revamp your dippers. Instead of reaching for a chip to dip into your favorite creamy creation try carrot sticks,broccoli or celery. You still get to taste the delicious dip without the added calories.

If you don’t know what’s in it don’t eat it. Potato salad, pasta salad, and mystery caserols can all be calorie mind fields. If you don’t know the majority of the ingredients stay away. There could be a ton of fat and sugar hiding in the unknown.

Happy 4th of July!
Lauren G.

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.