Low-Fat Banana Oat Bread

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Howdy!

How was everyone's Monday? Mine was pretty packed but fun. In the AM, I taught a water aerobics class and then rekindled my love affair with the StairMaster. Between all of my cardio classes and training for the 1/2 marathon, I haven't spent very much time with my old love lately. I seriously used to live on this thing! After about 5 minutes, I remembered why I loved it so much...... It is a KILLER workout! When your buns are on fire, you drink an entire water bottle in 30 minutes and you have sweat dripping from your chin, you know you are working hard! After I toasted my buns out on the StairMaster, it was time to teach some yoga! I absolutely love my noon yoga class!


I was glancing through Women's Health today, and came across two interesting statistics I had to share!

1) Exercise Trumps DNA- If your mom is overweight, your own figures isn't doomed. A study in PLoS Medicine found that doing any amount of exercise is linked to a 40% reduction in the genetic risk of being overweight- and people with the most obesity-related DNA sequences saw the biggest benefits from exercises. So no more blaming our DNA!

2) Dieters lost an average of 12 pounds over two years when they got 580 milligrams of calcium from dairy products (the amount in just two cups of milk) every day. If you are lactose intolerant, there are plenty of other places you can find calcium, such as almonds, broccoli, soy milk, figs, leafy green vegetables, and soy beans.

Yesterday, I told you I did a trial run with a new low-fat banana oat bread recipe compliments of The Healthy Apron. I changed around a few things from Erin's original recipe. I was super excited about the results! I made mini loaves and put chocolate chips in 2 of them, although I have to say both Eric and I preferred the bread without the chocolate. I know, can you believe Eric chose the non-chocolate option? Sometimes, something as good as banana bread just doesn't need chocolate!


Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup Splenda Blend brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup uncooked Old Fashion Oats
3 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce (or canola oil if you don't want a slight apple flavor)
4 medium overripe bananas
1 egg
2 egg whites, beaten
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, optional (I opted out of these, because the hubby isn't a nut fan)
1/3 cup chocolate chips, optional

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease one large loaf pan or 4 mini pans.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients, including the oats and cinnamon (hold off on the nuts and chocolate chips).
  3. Mash bananas in a separate bowl and add in the whole egg and the applesauce or oil. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Mix together wet and dry ingredients.
  5. With a hand mixer, beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the mixture in three parts.
  6. Add in the chocolate chips and/or walnuts.
  7. Pour in the loaf pan and cook for 45-50 minutes. If you are using the smaller pans, start with 30 minutes and then use the tooth pick test to see if they are done.
  8. Allow 5 minutes to cool, and then remove from the pan.

It's delicious with a little bit of peanut butter mousse (peanut butter + Greek yogurt) on top as well! This bread is perfect to take with you to Christmas parties or family celebrations because it is delicious, healthy and super portable!

Don't forget to LIKE the new Fun, Fit and Fabulous Facebook page so you can stay up to date on all of the new things happening on the blog and in the world of health and fitness!

Food for thought:
What is your favorite piece of cardio or gym equipment?
Are you baking up anything special for Christmas?

In health,


share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.